Pattern Drafting Skills: Simple Basic Blocks
(Online On-Demand Course)
AVAILABLE TO BOOK NOW: BOOK HERE
START TIME & COURSE LENGTH: 12-16 Hours of training which can be started at any time.
BLOCKS COVERED: BASIC SKIRT; BASIC DARTLESS BODICE; BASIC SLEEVE; BASIC ONE-PIECE DRESS
About the Course:
This is an On-demand Online Course for drafting simple, basic dartless blocks that can be used to draft easy fit garments of your own design.
The course is delivered through short video tutorials, instruction handouts and guides, plus useful tips to support your learning experience. The course is divided into units and will provide a learning journey through simple tasks and instructions.
Feedback for Online Courses:
What you will gain by joining the Training Room:
Working through each unit you will learn how to choose a strong and workable theme, find inspiration through selecting appropriate artists and designers and develop primary sources into refined samples. There are lots of examples, tutorial videos and extra resources.
The Units will give you:
- Clear and visual presentations, in bitesize units, to enable better teaching in Fashion and Textiles and D&T.
- Clear and easy to follow short demonstrations on ‘how to’ do pattern drafting skills.
- Printable handouts of templates and step-by-step instructions for use in teaching.
- Useful video links to exemplar work of others.
- Guidance and info on other resources that could support your teaching.
You will gain:
- An overview of the history of sizing and body shape.
- Learn how to measure the body correctly, then produce a basic bodice, sleeve and skirt blocks to adapt to first patterns.
- These blocks can be adapted to draft a variety of dresses, tops and skirts.
- Pull out the maths element out with measuring and simple maths to obtain relevant measurements, adding seam allowances etc.
- Learn how to add fullness with pleats and remove darts for shaping.
- Learn simple pattern adaptations for the bodice, sleeve and skirts.
- Learn new technical skills to support classroom delivery.
- Support and ideas for delivering key maths elements through textiles.
- Life long learning in continuing professional development.
- Better understanding of industry practices and requirements to support delivery of KS3/4/5.
What is special about the Pattern Drafting Skills Training Rooms?
The Pattern Drafting Skills Training Room is an experience that delivers textiles skills, knowledge and understanding in bite sized units. It is a unique learning concept which allows you to learn at your own pace and still contribute, ask questions and network with other teachers through the training room discussion page.
Your curator is DAWN FOXALL, Founder of Textiles Skills Centre, who has 35 years industry experience as well as teaching, lecturing and delivering training events for a variety of education establishments, organisations and Textiles Skills Centre. Dawn is supported with contributions fom Julia Burrows who also has many years of industry practice and is currently senior pattern tutor at Fashion Enter Ltd, London.
Advantages of joining the Pattern Drafting Skills Training Room?
- Work/study can be done at home.
- No need to be away from your classroom.
- 12-16 hours of training and downloadable resources.
- No cover needed for your classes if you are a teacher.
- No travel arrangements or costs
- Best use of time: flexible access, revisit when needed, ready-to-use resources
- Unlimited access to the training room with handouts to download and links to other useful resources.
Terms & Conditions
Your ticket is not refundable or exchangeable once you have enrolled on the course. You can register and join at any time.
Once registered, teachers will be given UNLIMITED access to an on-line training room and all the resources. Training provides videos of each presentation and handouts to download, demonstration videos for each technique, templates and images that you can use within school, links to further information and useful resources. It is your ONE STOP SHOP!
What do you need to gain access to the Training Room?
To access the training room you will need a Facebook account and access to the internet. The training can be accessed on a mobile device, tablet or computer.
You will get immediate access to the course once you have booked and paid in full.
This Training Room is one of a series being developed on Pattern Drafting Skills. Other courses are to follow and we will post them here as soon as we get them completed.
The Textiles Skills Centre also manages the Facebook Closed Group for teachers. To join the closed group go to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/textileteacherscentre